Fur Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Text Based Adventure Game

+2
Prometheus
Amazing Mr. X
6 posters

Go down

What should the text based game be about?

A Text Based Adventure Game I_vote_lcap56%A Text Based Adventure Game I_vote_rcap 56% 
[ 5 ]
A Text Based Adventure Game I_vote_lcap0%A Text Based Adventure Game I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
A Text Based Adventure Game I_vote_lcap44%A Text Based Adventure Game I_vote_rcap 44% 
[ 4 ]
A Text Based Adventure Game I_vote_lcap0%A Text Based Adventure Game I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9

A Text Based Adventure Game Empty A Text Based Adventure Game

Post by Amazing Mr. X Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm

Hey guys, as some of you may already know I'm currently in college working my way towards a major in Computer Science. To this end, I've taken a C programming course this semester that has gotten me pretty far enough along to make advanced windows 32bit console applications. So with the semester almost over, and a semester worth of skill under my belt, I've decided to start on my first actual game. Being as I really can't do pretty graphics yet, I'm wanting to do a text adventure. Something along the lines of the classic Zork {play it here}, is what I had in mind.

So, being as I want to make something people other than just me can enjoy, I had a list of ideas I wanted you guys to choose from. The winner of a poll {woo democracy} will be the game I ultimately work on. Your options are as follows:

TwoKinds: Precursor
"Based on the fictional back story of the massively popular web comic by Tom Fischbach. You follow the story of a lone wolf Keidran who awakes in a strange clearing near a large rock. Holding only a book and a locket, with shattered and broken memories almost totally wiped clean, you set out on a mission to recover what was stolen from you. Focusing primarily on puzzles and character interactions, but with a slightly heavier tone than the web comic, this game goes deep into a past almost totally unexplored."

Zork: Discovering the Underground Empire
"Based on the classic text adventure that sent shock waves through the PC community, this text adventure reboots a long gone and much beloved franchise. Descending you, the generic nameless adventurer, into a world you are entirely unprepared for; you go about exploring The Great Underground Empire of Zork. Along the way you solve puzzles by creatively using a vast inventory, get inundated with jokes of all kinds, witness impossible acts of sheer magical epicness, and get bored to death by the all dreaded Record Player of Boredom."

An Attempt At Originality
"This option simply means you want me to try something totally new, or at least something I think is totally new. Get my creative juices flowing and take an original concept to use as a game. It could be funny, serious, outrageous, mythical, futuristic, or whatever I see fit to do; with the one notable point that it must be original. Being as I don't have anything planned, this is a total shot in the dark, a mystery door number three that could either contain something terrible or something great. Only time, and your vote, can tell. Choose this if you want to take the risky route."

Other (Please Specify)
"Maybe you aren't happy with any of these options. Maybe you have your own set of ideas you think are better. Maybe they really are better, but we won't know that until you tell us. So, pick this if you have something else to share with us. If it really is good enough I may add it to the poll."

As I already stated the winner of this poll will be the theme of the game I work on. So the fate of this future creation lies almost entirely with you, in the hands {and paws} of the people. So go ahead and vote, voice your opinions, and rant incoherently about my butchering of your beloved series of choice in just under a paragraph.

I'm sure this will be interesting to see people's opinions on in general, so don't feel shy! Vote! Furry Smile
Amazing Mr. X
Amazing Mr. X
Shining Paw of Authority

Registration date : 2009-02-22
Glomps : 6
Number of posts : 73

Back to top Go down

A Text Based Adventure Game Empty Re: A Text Based Adventure Game

Post by Prometheus Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 am

Hmm, tough choice. I love Zork, but a Twokinds text game would be interesting as well... I'm gonna say the Twokinds option, as Zork already exists and has countless remakes of it. Plus, it would be interesting to actually play a game about an anthro, and have that impact the game. (Starfox doesn't count, as he might as well have been human)
Prometheus
Prometheus
Pack Supporter

Registration date : 2011-03-18
Glomps : 1
Motto : Just because a cake exists doesn't mean it isn't a lie...
Number of posts : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy661 Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 pm

I would vote for the AaO one, but then, the text-based Twokinds one may help us get a start on the Twokinds RPG we wanted to make as an Xbox LIVE style arcade game, as well as a PC game.

But that's my opinion.
Envy661
Envy661
Shining Paw of Authority

Registration date : 2009-02-03
Glomps : 18
Motto : Don't beg for things
Number of posts : 290

http://envy661.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BanditRingtail Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 pm

I vote for something original, but that's just me. I'm willing to switch to "other" if you have trouble coming up with ideas. I'm a good idea man.
BanditRingtail
BanditRingtail
New Lone Fur

Registration date : 2011-03-15
Glomps : 0
Motto : Life is not tried, it is merely survived, if you're standing outside the fire.
Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Superscalyfish Sun May 01, 2011 3:34 pm

I like the original idea, I think it will be much more rewarding for you if you use your own ideas... But, it might be easier to do a 2K one... Really, it's all up to you, lol.
Superscalyfish
Superscalyfish
New Fur

Registration date : 2011-04-27
Motto : Bunnalicious.
Number of posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post by Jason_Alex Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 pm

Originality tends to pay off in the end, honestly.

Text based games tend to do better in Fantasy settings than in Sci-Fi settings, though th example of a modern (for then) setting in the original "Adventure" is a good stand alone. Several of the best games in this genre were murder mysteries in contemporary or recent history settings.

If you haven't already, play a few MUDs to get a feel for navigation, and what works well, and what doesn't. Descriptions of rooms should be short and concise, and give all the pertinent details without burying them in fluff.

Start with a central plot, and add a few red herrings, a Chekov's Gun, and some interesting interactions with NPCs, the environment, and so on.

Puzzles! Puzzles and riddles are a mainstay of the genre.

Jason_Alex
New Lone Fur

Registration date : 2011-03-17
Number of posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down