Fur Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Developers getting too lax

5 posters

Go down

Developers getting too lax Empty Developers getting too lax

Post by Envy661 Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:40 am

Yes, I remember the classic games like they were yesterday. Where bugs and glitches were practically nonexistent, and there were no achievements/trophies to win.
It isn't like today, where if one thing loads incorrectly, you are screwed. I have thusfar had this problem in only two games: Call of Duty: World at War, and Crysis 2. It is a very big bug that arises now and then, and causes you to have to restart an entire mission because one thing didn't line up correctly in the loading, so a cutscene/checkpoint doesn't activate.
This feature can be very game-breaking for many games, and can even be a deciding factor on whether or not to touch the game again. I myself never played World At War again after that, and sold it back to Gamestop as well.

But the games in the past never had problems like these. I must have played Call of Duty 2: Big Red One a dozen times and never experienced a single bug. The same goes for 007 Nightfire, 007 Goldeneye, Doom, or any other game predating 2004 even.

So my question for you is, are developers getting too lax? With a system where they can fix any bug they want at will, are they not paying enough attention to the end-product people pay good money for?
Some games, like The Elder Scrolls Series, and Fallout Series are prime examples of this as well as few ever hear of game-breaking bugs from TES games before III, or Fallout and Fallout 2. So where down the line did developers stop caring as much about the end-product? Do they even see it as an end-product anymore?

Discuss.
Envy661
Envy661
Shining Paw of Authority

Registration date : 2009-02-03
Glomps : 18
Motto : Don't beg for things
Number of posts : 290

http://envy661.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Developers getting too lax Empty Re: Developers getting too lax

Post by Prometheus Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 am

The Elder Scrolls and Fallout are bound to have bugs, simply because of the sheer size of them, and the monumental task required in programming the game, but for some of the other games there's no excuse. A particularly good example is FF XIV, the developer actually apologized for it. When someone apologizes for a game, that's the sign that they're getting lazy.
Prometheus
Prometheus
Pack Supporter

Registration date : 2011-03-18
Glomps : 1
Motto : Just because a cake exists doesn't mean it isn't a lie...
Number of posts : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabrielofcreosha Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:06 am

I, and fluffy gods above thank you, have never had this problem. All the games I get run perfectly on my first gen XBOX360.(Very first gen, like one of the originals) However I have seen that it makes some ingame things odd, like some weapons look a little odd, and my friends copy of RDR had a revolver called teh colt peacmaker, which when I looked up online didn't exist, but this was at the time it had just been released, I think he may have preordered.

ANyhow, yes, I do believe they are getting lazy, alot of glitches I hear about are very easy to fix. Although the glitches on BO I did seemed more like they were designed on purpose.....
Gabrielofcreosha
Gabrielofcreosha
New Lone Fur

Registration date : 2011-03-14
Glomps : 1
Motto : If at first you don't suceed, use a higher caliber.
Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygron Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:04 pm

I think it's mostly because there's so much more that goes into games nowadays. And really they don't have a system to fix whatever they want when they want. It depends really. With games being more massive today things are going to break and crash. Even if it runs perfectly one day it might not the next, the same thing happens at Taco Bell with the registers. Sometimes they work fine, other days it's all "WTF WHY IS THIS SCREWING UP IT DID FINE DOING THE SAME THING YESTERDAY". So they may not even catch the bug or think that it won't happen in enough consistency to be a bother figuring out how to completely fix the problem. So I would suppose yes in a way they are becoming more relaxed but there are also way more things to go wrong. It also has to do with the hardware, with the consoles becoming more like computers (I mean they've always been computers but you know what I mean dangit) there can be things that screw up. Be it simply there were too many things being processed and the important part (which the computer can't really see as important unless you program it that it must do this if that and even then it can screw up) may get lost in that whole thing.

Remember when games were cartridges? Basically the console was all the necessary components to run a game and allow input from controllers and send video and audio out to speakers and a display. The game was basically a circuit board that in a way expanded or became a part of the console, much like connecting a graphics card or RAM or whatever to your computer. Which I guess also allowed things to run a bit more smoothly. I believe I remember some SNES games even having their own 3d processors in them, but I could be wrong.

Now we have systems with their own interface and systems which read the games as extra data that it has to read on top of it's own systems. I believe this is where some problems can lay.

Then again take most of this with a grain of salt because it is mostly speculation on my part, I don't actually know anything about computers or console systems to know what is actually going on under the hood. I can only do guess work from things i've heard and such that can explain how some things work.
Tygron
Tygron
New Fur

Registration date : 2011-03-13
Glomps : 2
Number of posts : 39

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tygron117

Back to top Go down

Post by Amazing Mr. X Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:28 am

Actually old games were quite buggy as well. For Example.
Amazing Mr. X
Amazing Mr. X
Shining Paw of Authority

Registration date : 2009-02-22
Glomps : 6
Number of posts : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy661 Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 am

Amazing Mr. X wrote:Actually old games were quite buggy as well. For Example.

I would like to point out (having only watched about 30 seconds of this) all the cartridge-related ones are do to technical hardware problems, not software problems.
There is a reason people used to have to blow into those things, you know.
Envy661
Envy661
Shining Paw of Authority

Registration date : 2009-02-03
Glomps : 18
Motto : Don't beg for things
Number of posts : 290

http://envy661.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tygron Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Envy661 wrote:
Amazing Mr. X wrote:Actually old games were quite buggy as well. For Example.

I would like to point out (having only watched about 30 seconds of this) all the cartridge-related ones are do to technical hardware problems, not software problems.
There is a reason people used to have to blow into those things, you know.
While a lot of the glitches in older games was because of dirty contacts or something there were a lot of bugs. But for the most part were not game breaking. I think the severity of glitches (and the reasoning) has changed a bit since then. You just gotta find ways of getting around it or fixing it. I love that Rocky graphics glitch they showed, which is part of the 3d model and part of the graphics not reading the data right. I've seen similar glitches in Halo CE when someone didn't fully know what they were doing when making the map. You'd get huge planes of texture going across the screen blocking things (yet moving when you moved or looked around). And similar happened when I was playing Motorstorm on a PS3 at Target. The back of my truck had a moving vertex on the model that would glitch way out of the skybox when showing the model at certain angles.
Tygron
Tygron
New Fur

Registration date : 2011-03-13
Glomps : 2
Number of posts : 39

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/tygron117

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down